19 April 2011

Too Gooey Brownies?!

After heading to a 50's style American Diner at the weekend for a burger, and seeing the inevitable brownie on the dessert list, I decided to make some. I've never made brownies before but I love them (who doesn't?!); simple no-fuss chewy chocolate brownies.

I found my recipe on AllRecipes.co.uk, there were several and most had good reviews so opted for one that had no nuts (did I mention I don't like nuts of any kind, legume or human! Ha ha!) and used melted chocolate rather than cocoa.

I was a bit concerned about the amount of butter in this recipe but like I said, never having made brownies before I had no idea. Well, I was right to be. They came out a little greasy and therefore tasting a bit too much of butter. Beyond that the taste was nice, chocolatey although a tad sweet for my taste.

In terms of texture I didn't like these. When I went to remove them from the tray, they fell apart - I wondered whether they were cooked (even though the skewer came out clean) so I ended up putting them back in the oven for a while, but it didn't improve. They were overly gooey and I couldn't even get a decent square from the tray without it falling apart.

Safe to say I won't be making this again and will be scouting a different recipe with either less butter or more flour. If you happen to try it and have more success, let me know. Or if you have a good brownie recipe please share it with me!

Gooey Chocolate Brownie recipe
225g butter
100g dark chocolate (70%)
20g milk chocolate
2 medium eggs, beaten
300g light brown sugar
100g flour
1tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt

1) Preheat oven to 190degrees. Grease an 8inch square baking tin.
2) On a low heat, melt the butter and chocolate and stir continuously. Take off the heat and add the sugar.
3) Slowly stir in the eggs.
4) Add the vanilla extract, tthe add flour and salt. Once the mixture is combined, pour it into the tin.
5) Cook for approx. 35-40mins, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted. Leave to cool a while in the tin.

No comments:

Post a Comment