Makes approx 15 cupcakes
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup whole milk
2oz dark chocolate melted and cooled
1/4 cup and 1 dessertspoon boiling water
1/3 cup and 1 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
1 large egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
2) Place paper cases in muffin tin.
3) Break the chocolate into chunks and melt: either very carefully in the microwave on a low setting (max. 1 min) or place in a bowl over boiling water.
4) Place all dry ingredient in a large bowl and mix well (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt).
5) In another bowl whisk the egg until pale in colour and slightly frothy. Add the milk, oil, vanilla and melted chocolate and beat (make sure the chocolate is cooled otherwise it could cook the egg).
6) Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and mix. Then add the boiling water and mix together.
7) Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 of the way with the mixture.
8) Bake for 18-22 minutes (insert a skewer or toothpick and when done, it will come out clean).
9) Leave to cool for a few minutes in the tin, then remove carefully to a wire cooling rack.
10) Decorate as you like.