Recipe (makes 12 cupcakes)
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 cup soft brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Zest & juice of 1/2 lime
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1-2 shots of dark rum (depends on your taste!)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Handful of fresh mint, shredded
1) Pregeat oven to 170degrees and place liners in a muffin tray
2) Mix all the dry ingredients together
3) Add the melted butter and egg, then add the milk slowly. Next add the vanilla extract, lime zest and juice, rum and mint. Mix until well incorporated.
4) Fill liners 1/2 full and bake for approx 15mins
5) Leave to cool for a few minutes in the tray, then transfer to a cooling rack
For the icing, make an ordinary batch of the vanilla frosting, but instead of adding the milk replace this with a shot of rum and 1/2 lime juice. I also put these two ingredients into a pestle and mortar and with some mint leaves and bashed it around a while before removing the leaves. That way the 3 key ingredients in a mojito are there throughout!
For a real party feel, decorate with lime wedges, mint sprigs and a cut bendy straw!